10 May 2017

Flag Offence...

Had an amusing discussion on Twitter last night, when I quoted a tweet about taking the EU flag down from public buildings in the UK and said that I found it as offensive as the Nazi swastika...

As you can imagine, that had a few Europhiles and Remain campaigners completely up in arms, I've noticed that they can be very sensitive indeed, to any comparison between the EU and evil empires such as the USSR and the Third Reich, but my tweet also attracted quite a few likes. More than I normally get. Please draw your own conclusions from that...

Somebody even told me that I am not allowed to be offended by the EU flag, overlooking the fact that so many people seem to be offended by the English national flag, the flag of St Georges these days. They can't have it both ways. If people are allowed to be offended by my national flag, I don't see why I am not allowed to be offended by a different one...

The reason I said that the EU flag is offensive is that I don't regard the EU flag as my national flag. Until the EU referendum in 2016, nobody had ever asked me if I wanted to be part of a European superstate or not. The EU was forced upon us, with the politicians of the time refusing to grant a referendum. Without that consent, the EU flag does not have a rightful place on our public buildings.

It is actually every bit as bad as having the Nazi swastika hanging from offices in Whitehall (which thankfully never happened) and the Union Flag flying from buildings in Bombay (as it once did). The EU flag is still a symbol of power & control over the UK, if not the same kind of physical 'occupation' that the Nazi's tried.

In my opinion, the Union flag should be flown widely in the UK and on our Embassies and Consulates overseas, it is our national symbol, but it doesn't really belong anywhere else. Not on a regular basis.

I think the same principle applies to the EU flag.

And the Stars & Stripes

Not to mention the Russian flag and the Chinese flag.

In fact, there is no reason for any nations flag to be flown widely in any other nation...

You can join the discussion here, if you want to....